The 2016 ICOM NATHIST in Milan, Italy will be on the theme of “Natural History Museums in Cultural Landscapes”.
Natural history institutions are repositories of natural material, frozen in time becoming evidence for environments that are no longer there. They are a conduit for creating authentic connections between people and the natural world and landscapes. They build new knowledge about species and the environments they inhabit. Through their exhibits, programs, collections, research and conservation action, natural history museums help to address a growing disconnect between humanity and the global ecosystems that sustain all life on earth, including people.
As visitor-based institutions they must be attuned to the topics that engage the public, the most effective modes of communication, as well as paying attention to whether their messages were adequately received. They are important part of the cultural landscape of contemporary societies and one sector full of opportunities and innovation. The 2016 conference of ICOM NATHIST will explore the latest achievements in these relationships.
We are accepting papers on the following topics:
- How building and maintaining collections are influenced by society and how they can serve to influence it.
- Collections and natural landscapes
- Collections and cultural landscapes
- Cross-sector relationships: Synergistic partnerships with like-minded organisations and the results they achieve. Includes the nexus between art and nature.
- Education and outreach: How teaching natural history, both in the museum and further afield, creates tangible benefits to society
- Exhibitions and visitors: Development new techniques and projects to meet visitors’ needs and expectations or exhibits that tell culturally enriching stories.
- Conservation action: Projects in which natural history museums engage with local expertise to achieve wildlife conservation outcomes.
PLEASE NOTE: We may be able to accommodate a poster session and we will let you know as soon as possible. Please indicate your preference on the form provided.
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION FORM: ICOM NATHIST Abstract Submission 2016
Please send abstracts using the form provided to email@example.com
DEADLINE: Extended to 30 April 2016
Further information about the conference will be available shortly.